UGC NET Study Materials for Paper 1 (eBook with MCQ) ⇒ BUY NOW
The Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority Students is formulated and funded by Ministry of Minority Affairs. The scheme is open to candidates who belong to one of the Minority Community i.e. Muslim, Sikh, Parsi, Buddhist, Christian & Jain and are pursuing higher studies such as regular and full time M.Phil/Ph.D. degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology. The reservation for differently abled students shall be made as per provision laid down by the Government of India.
The objective of the scheme is to provide integrated five year fellowships in the form of financial assistance to students from minority communities, as notified by the Central Government to pursue higher studies such as M.Phil. and Ph.D. at Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges as indicated below:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC,
The candidates belonging to one of the minority community who have cleared the CBSE/NTA- UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET will be eligible for award of MANF. In order to qualify for the award, the candidate should have passed the post graduation examination with minimum 55% marks.
A candidate has to fulfill the following conditions to be eligible for award of this fellowship:-
- Prior clearance of CBSE/NTA-UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET examination will be a pre- requisite for the award of fellowship.
- Candidate should belong to one of the minority communities – Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Parsi & Jain notified under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992.
- Candidate should submit the minority community certificate on an actionable and legally valid affidavit, until the State Government/Union Territory administration starts to issue the minority community certificate.
- Candidate should be registered for regular and full time M.Phil/Ph.D courses in University/Academic Institution by fulfilling conditions of admission of that University/Institution.
- The annual income of the beneficiary/parents or guardian of the beneficiary should not exceed Rs. 6.0 lakh per annum from all sources. Candidate should submit his/her income or his/her parent’s/guardian’s income certificate issued by the appropriate Authority.
- The candidate should have secured a minimum score of 55% at Post Graduate level.
- Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per Government of India norms.
- The reservation for differently abled students shall be made as per Government of India norms and in a horizontal manner.
- 30% of fellowship shall be earmarked for women students; remaining 70% will be general. In case there is shortage of women candidates, the fellowships can be passed on to male students of the same minority community.
NATURE OF ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE UNDER THE SCHEME:
SLOTS : There are 1000 slots with effect from 2018-19 in all domains of knowledge.
TENURE OF FELLOWSHIP
|M.Phil.||2 years or submission of dissertation whichever is earlier.||2 years||Nil|
|M.Phil. + Ph.D.||5 years or submission of Ph.D. thesis whichever is earlier.||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
|Ph.D.||5 years or submission of Ph.D. thesis whichever is earlier.||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
AMOUNT OF FELLOWSHIP
|Fellowship||@ Rs. 25,000/- for initial two years (JRF)@ Rs. 28,000/- for remaining tenure (SRF)|
|Contingency for Humanities & Social Sciences and Commerce.||@ Rs. 10,000/- p.a. for initial two years @ Rs. 20,500/- p.a. for remaining three years.|
|Contingency for Science||@ Rs. 12,000/- p.a. for initial two years @ Rs. 25,000/- p.a. for remaining three years.|
|Escorts/Reader Assistance||@ Rs. 2,000/- p.m. in case of physically and visually challenged candidates|
DISTRIBUTION OF FELLOWSHIPS AND IMPLEMENTATION
- The total number of fellowships each year will be 1000(state-wise distribution). In case of non- availability of adequate number of candidates the number of fellowships not availed during a year will be carried forward to the next academic session.
- 30% of the fellowship shall be earmarked for women students; remaining 70% will be general. In case there are shortage of women candidates, the fellowship can be passed on to male students of the same minority community.
- In case the numbers of candidates exceed the number of available awards, candidates will be selected for the fellowships based on the percentage of marks obtained by them in their qualifying Post Graduation examination. The candidates should have mandatorily qualified in the CBSE/NTA-UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET.
- Scholars will be selected under the scheme in all domains of knowledge.
- Community wise selections of scholars at the national level will be done on the basis of their pro-rata population.
- State/UT wise selection of research scholars would be ensured to the extent possible.
- Un-utilised fellowship of any community in a State/UT will be transferred to eligible scholars of the same community at national level. Thereafter, un-utilised fellowship; if any; will be transferred to eligible scholars of other Notified Minority Communities purely on merit basis at the national level.
- The distribution of fellowship among different States/ UTs would be in proportion to Minority population in respective States/ UTs as per 2001 Census. However all States/ UTs shall have atleast 4 fellowships by suitably reducing the targets of states having higher allocations. There will be no community wise distribution in States/ UTs with four fellowships. All applications will be pooled together and decided on the basis of merit.
- In case the number of fellowship so allocated to a State/ UT are not fully utilized due to non- availability of eligible candidates, the slots will be re-allocated amongst other States/ UTs where the number of eligible candidates is more than the number of slots allocated to that State/ UT.
- The minority community students once considered eligible for fellowship shall not be entitled to benefits under any other source of the Central or State Government or any other body like UGC for the same study.
- Fellowship cannot be transferred from one minority community to another.
HOUSE RENT ALLOWANCE
- Suitable single-seated hostel accommodation may be provided to the candidates in the institutions. In such cases, the fellow is eligible to draw only hostel fees excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc
- In case of non-availability of hostel accommodation, the fellow may be provided with single accommodation by the host institution. In such cases, the rent paid by the fellow on actual basis may be claimed subject to the ceiling of HRA as per Govt. of India norms.
- If the fellow makes his/her own arrangements of accommodation, he/she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of cities.
Note : In all the above cases, the fellow will required to submit a certificate to the host institution. On the basis of this certificate, the host institution shall submit monthly claim on the designated web portal.
No separate/fixed medical assistance is provided. However, the Fellow may avail of the medical facilities available in the University/Institution/College.
- Leave for maximum period of 30 days in a year in addition to public holiday may be taken by the candidate. However, they are not entitled to any other vacation, such as summer, winter and pooja vacations.
- Candidates are eligible for maternity/ paternity leave at full rates of the fellowship as per Govt. of India rules once during the tenure of the award.
Academic Leave: The Fellow may be allowed academic leave (without fellowship and other emoluments) for a period not exceeding one year during the tenure of award for academic/teaching assignment /foreign visit in connection with research work. The expenditure on travel cannot be claimed from UGC. The period of leave without fellowship will be counted towards the tenure.
Note: All kind of leave shall be approved by the University/Institute/College.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING FOR THE SCHEME
The applications are invited through online mode once in a year through issue of short notification on the UGC website and advertisement in leading designated newspapers.
Incomplete applications will not be placed before the Expert Committee. Candidates have to apply strictly as per instruction given in online application portal.
UGC shall disburse the fellowship amount to the selected awardees under Direct Benefit Transfer(DBT) mode. In this regard, a Gazetted Notification S.O.2411 dated 14th June, 2017, under Section 7 of Aadhaar(Targeted delivery of Financial and Other Susidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016(18 of 2016) dated 31.07.2017 may be referred.
- Online applications received within a given time frame on the designated web portal shall be verified by UGC with regard to the eligibility critieria as laid down in the guidelines.
- Complete online applications will be considered by an Expert Committee constituted by the Commission. The decision of the Commission will be final. The Commission reserves the right to withdraw/cancel the award without assigning any reason. Result shall be published on UGC website.
- The selected awardee will be allowed to download the award letter from the designated web portal.
- After downloading the award letter, the awardee shall be required to join the fellowship with effect from the 1st April of the selection year.
PROCEDURE FOR RELEASE OF GRANT BY THE UGC
- The fellowship amount shall be disbursed to the awardee on Direct Benefit Transfer(DBT) basis. The process of updating monthly information with respect to the awardees by the host institution and payments thereof is being implemented on a state of art dedicated web portal () https://scholarship.canarabank.in/AdminLogin.aspx ).
- The bank account numbers of the beneficiaries will be validated through PFMS for creation of beneficiary ID.
- The video tutorial and guidelines for operating the web portal is available on UGC website and may be referred for use.
- The genuineness of the minority community certificates furnished by the awardees shall be verified by the concerned university/ institution before the details are updated on the web portal.
- In case any candidate is found to have obtained MANF through fraudulent means, the award may be cancelled under intimation to the UGC and the amount of fellowship drawn, if any, may be recovered with interest at prevailing State Bank of India rates for student loans.
- In case an awardee selected under the scheme is found engaged in part time employment as Ad-hoc teachers, Teaching Assistants or Research Assistants, their fellowship shall be discontinued forthwith. An undertaking shall be taken by the candidate at the time of application.
PROCEDURE FOR MONITORING THE PROGRESS OF THE SCHEME:
- The research work done by the scholar during the first two years of JRF and SRF thereafter shall be assessed and the monitored as per UGC rules.
- The tenure of fellowship is initially for two years under the MANF Scheme. Before expiry of this period, the work of the Fellow will be evaluated by a Committee of three members comprising of Head of the Department, Supervisor and one outside subject expert to be constituted by the concerned Department of the /University/Institution/College. If the research work is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended further for a period of three years under the enhanced emoluments of the Maulana Azad National Senior Research Fellowship (MANSRF). The work done and the time spent on scholarships or fellowships of any agency other than the UGC will not be taken into account while considering the proposals for enhancement in the value of fellowship.
- The total tenure of fellowship and regulation of gap-period, if any, shall be governed strictly as per existing UGC rules or as modified from time to time.
RESIGNATION AND TRANSFER:
- If the fellow resigns or relinquishes the fellowship before the end of the tenure, information may be submitted by the concerned University/ institution on the designated web portal itself and the stop payment link may be used at the time of monthly confirmation.
- Transfer of Research place will be allowed only once during the entire tenure. The transfer can be made by the concerned University/ institution itself on the designated web portal through the concerned link available on the designated web portal.
CANCELLATION OF AWARD
The fellowship is liable to cancellation, in case of:
- In case any candidate obtaining Maulana Azad National Fellowship for minority students fraudently, the cancellation should be automatic and the amount disbursed shall be recovered with interest at prevailing State Bank of India rate for student loans.
- Unsatisfactory progress of research work.
- Candidate is later found ineligible on account of false information provided in the online applications.
- Candidate is already availing scholarship/fellowship from any other sources.