Get Study Materials of UGC NET Paper 1 (eBook with MCQ) ⇒ DOWNLOAD NOW
The Central Sector scheme of National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities (NFPwD) has been launched with the objective of providing financial assistance to the students with disabilities for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and Ph.D. in India. The scheme was effective from 1st April 2012.
The scheme caters to the requirements of the students with disabilities for pursuing research degree in universities, research institutions and scientific institutions. This will not only enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts of Lecturers lying vacant in various colleges and universities but will equip them to effectively take advantage of the growing opportunities at the national and international level in the context of the new economic order.
National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities (NFPwD)
University Grants Commission (UGC) on behalf of Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment invites applications from eligible candidates for National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities (NFPwD) for the selections years 2018-19 and 2019-2020. Under this scheme, fellowship will be available to students with disabilities who are covered under ‘The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995. Thus a person with a disability, who wishes to avail the benefits under the Act has to obtain a disability certificate from the medical authority notified for the purpose.
Number of Fellowships under National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities
There are 200 slots for each year with the provision of reservation of 15% for Scheduled Castes and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes. The selection will be made purely on merit based on the percentage of marks obtained by the candidates in their Post Graduation (PG) examination, after verification of applications, from amongst the candidates whose applications are received through online mode on the designated portal of UGC.
After the selection process, UGC will issue a list containing names of provisionally selected candidates. They will be allowed to join the fellowship only after verification of facts/information furnished by them in their online applications. The candidates who join the fellowship shall not be entitled to any other monetary benefit from the Central or State Government or other bodies like UGC.
How to Apply
The online applications can be filed on the web portal https://www.ugc.ac.in/ugc_schemes/.
Last Date: The last date for receiving the online applications is 15th Feb, 2021.
It may be noted that only selections will be made by UGC, and all other formalities, including communication with candidates and disbursal of fellowship will be carried out by directly by DEPwD, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Eligibility for National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities (NFPwD)
Any student with disabilities who has been admitted to M.Phil/Ph.D degree and pursuing research through regular and full time mode in a University or academic institution by completing the required formalities for admission in that University or academic institution is eligible for the fellowship. The scheme covers all Universities/ Institutions recognized by the UGC/Government of India. Employees of any University / College/ Educational institution/ Central/ State/ UT Government shall be excluded from availing the fellowship, even if they are on study leave or Extra Ordinary Leave (EOL) to purse the MPhil/ Ph.D course.
Duration of Fellowship
The fellowship is payable for a maximum period of 05 years. It commences from 01.04.2020or actual date of admission/registration of candidate for M.Phil./Ph.D., whichever is later.
|Name of the Course||Maximum duration|
|M.Phil.||2 years or submission of dissertation whichever is earlier|
|M.Phil.+ Ph.D.||5 years from commencement of Fellowship or till submission of Ph.D. thesis, whichever is earlier|
|Ph.D.||5 years or till submission of Ph.D. thesis, whichever is earlier|
Amount of Fellowship under National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities (NFPwD)
Presently the rate of fellowship for JRF and SRF, under the scheme, is as under:
|Fellowship||@Rs.31,000/-p.m. initial two year as JRF. @Rs.35,000/-p.m. for remaining tenure as SRF.|
|Contingency (Humanities & Social Sciences including Arts/Fine Arts)||@Rs.10,000/-p.a. for initial two year (JRF) @Rs.20,500/-p.a. for remaining tenure (SRF)|
|Contingency (Science, Engineering & Technology)||@Rs.12,000/-p.a. initial two year (JRF) @Rs.25,000/-p.a. for remaining tenure (SRF)|
|Escorts/Reader assistance||@Rs.2,000/- p.m. in case of candidates with physical and visual disabilities.|
|HRA||As per Govt. of India norms.|
Note: After two years of fellowship, if the progress in the research work of the awardee is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellow (SRF). The research work will be assessed by a three member assessment committee set up by the university. The Committee will consist of the Supervisor/Guide, Head of the Department and one outside expert in the subject. JRF maybe terminated in case the progress of the candidate is not found satisfactory by the Committee.
The SRF shall be sanctioned on year to year basis on the recommendation of the Supervisor of the candidate duly accepted/rejected by the Head of the Department and finally approved by the Vice Chancellor. The total period of award of JRF and SRF shall not exceed a period of five years.
House Rent Allowance
- Suitable single-seated hostel accommodation may be provided to the candidates in the institutions. In such cases, the fellow is eligible to draw only hostel fees excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc. A certificate to this effect is to be furnished through the Registrar/Director/Principal. HRA is not permissible for those candidates who are staying in Hostel
- In case of non-availability of hostel accommodation, the fellow may be provided with single accommodation by the host institution. In such cases, the rent paid by the fellow on actual basis shall be reimbursed subject to the ceiling of HRA as per Govt. of India norms.
- If the fellow makes his/her own arrangements of accommodation, he/she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of cities by the Govt. of
No separate /fixed medical assistance is provided. However, the fellow may avail of the medical facilities available in the University/Institution/College.
- Leave for maximum period of 30 days in a year in addition to public holiday may be taken by the candidate. However, they are not entitled to any other vacation, such as summer, winter and pooja
- Candidates are eligible for maternity/ paternity leave at full rates of the fellowship as per Govt. of India rules once during the tenure of the
- Academic Leave: The Fellow may be allowed ‘Academic Leave’ (without fellowship and other emoluments) for a period not exceeding one year during the tenure of award for academic/ teaching assignment /foreign visit in connection with research
The expenditure on travel cannot be claimed from UGC. The period of leave without fellowship will be counted towards the tenure.
If the awardee wishes to apply for any other fellowship/paid assignment/examination conducted by a public body during the tenure of the fellowship, he/ she is not required to obtain NOC from UGC. In case of selection, the candidate would be required to tender resignation from the Fellowship.
Note: All kind of leave shall be approved by the respective University/Institution.
Resignation And Transfer
- If the Fellow resigns or relinquishes the fellowship before the end of the tenure, information may be submitted by the concerned University/ institution on the designated web portal itself and stop/discontinue payment link may be used at the time of monthly
- Transfer of Research place will be allowed only once during the entire tenure. Transfer can be made by the concerned University/ institution itself on the designated web portal through the concerned link available
Cancellation of Award
The fellowship in liable to cancellation, in case of:
- Unsatisfactory progress of research
- Candidate is later found
- Candidate is already availing scholarship/fellowship from any other
- Candidate is found employed during the M.Phil/Ph.D
Any false information furnished by the applicant or any fraudulent activity by the Scholar/Fellow/Research Awardee.