UGC NET Study Materials for Paper 1 (eBook with MCQ) ⇒ BUY NOW
Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe has been initiated keeping in view the social background of the candidates from the deprived section of the society and to provide them an opportunity to undertake advanced studies and research in Science, Engineering & Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences in Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges.
Objective of Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe
The objective of Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe is to provide an opportunity to SC/ ST candidates to undertake postdoctoral research in Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences at Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges as indicated below:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central / State
- Institutes of National Importance.
Unemployed candidates from the deprived section of the society with Ph.D. Degree awarded and aptitude for research.
Eligibility of Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe
(i) The candidate must have a doctorate degree in the relevant subject preferably with published research work to their credit. (Provisional degree certificate may be accepted if degree is not awarded)
(ii) Only Ph.D. awarded unemployed candidates will be eligible for the award of Post Doctoral Fellowship.
(iii) The upper age limit for male applicants is 50 years as on last date of receipt of online applications and 55 years in the case of female candidates.
(iv) The candidates of SC/ ST categories having 50% marks at UG level and 55% marks at PG level are eligible to apply under the Scheme.
(v) The candidate must upload the No Objection Certificate from the proposed research place duly forwarded by Head of Department and Registrar / Director / Principal in the online application. (Annexure –I).
(vi) Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per government of India norms.
There shall be reservation for SC/ST/ Persons with disability candidates as per provision of the Constitution and instructions issued by the Govt. of India from time to time.
Assistance under Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe
The numbers of slots available under Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe are 100 per year. The tenure of the award is five years with no provision for further extension. The financial assistance available under the scheme is as follows-
|Fellowship||@ Rs. 47,000/-p.m. 1st year|
|@ Rs. 49,500/- p.m. 2nd year
@ Rs. 54,000/ p.m. 3rd year onwards
|Escorts/Reader assistance||@ Rs. 2000/- p.m. (fixed) in case of Persons with disability (PwD).
* The revised rate of fellowship is applicable w.e.f. 01.01.2019
(i) Suitable single-seated hostel accommodation may be provided to the candidates in the institutions. In such cases, the fellow is eligible to draw only hostel fees excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc. A certificate to this effect is to be furnished through the Registrar/Director/Principal. HRA is not permissible for those candidates who are staying in Hostel accommodation.
(ii) In case of non-availability of hostel accommodation, the fellow may be provided with single accommodation by the host institution. In such cases, the rent paid by the fellow on actual basis may be reimbursed subject to the ceiling of HRA as per Govt. of India norms.
(iii) If the fellow makes her own arrangements of accommodation, he/she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of cities by the Govt. of India.
Note: In all the above cases, the fellow will submit a relevant certificate (Annexure-VI) through the concerned University/College/Institute to the identified Agency for settling the claim.
No separate/fixed medical assistance is provided. However, the Post-Doctoral Fellow may avail of the medical facilities available in the University/Institution/College.
1) Leave for maximum period of 30 days in a year in addition to public holidays maybe taken by the Post-Doctoral Fellow with the approval of the Head of the Department. However, they are not entitled to any other vacations, such as summer, winter and pooja vacations.
2) Candidates are eligible for maternity/ paternity leave at full rates of the fellowship as per Government of India rules once during the tenure of the award.
3) Academic leave: The fellow may be allowed to avail academic leave without fellowship and contingency for a period not exceeding one year during the tenure of award for academic/ teaching assignment/ foreign visit in connection with research work. The expenditure on travel cannot be claimed from UGC. The period of leave without fellowship will be counted towards the tenure.
Note: All kind of leaves shall be approved by the University/Institute/College.
Procedure for applying
The applications are invited through online mode once in a year through advertisement in leading newspaper and Employment News from the candidates belonging to SC/ST category fulfilling the eligibility conditions under the scheme. A short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website. www.ugc.ac.in. Incomplete applications will not be placed before the Expert Committee. Candidates have to apply strictly as per instruction given in online application portal.
Under Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe, the applications received will be scrutinized by a screening committee. Later, the short listed candidates will be called to appear before an Expert Committee, constituted by the Commission. No TA/DA will be paid for appearing in the interview. The decision of the Commission will be final. The Commission reserves the right to withdraw/cancel the award without assigning any reason. Result shall be published on UGC website Award letters can be downloaded from UGC online application portal. The effective date of release of fellowship shall be 1st April of the selection year or the actual date of joining the PDF whichever is later.
Joining under Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe
The candidate should join the fellowship within 3 months from the date of issue of Award letter, failing which the award will be treated as cancelled.
Procedure for release of grant by the UGC
The fellowship amount shall be disbursed through UGC designated Bank into the bank account of the awardee directly. The list of designated branches of UGC identified bank is available on the UGC portal i.e. www.ugc.ac.in.
- The awardee is required to approach the designated branch along with a Copy of the Award Letter and Joining Report with photograph, address and contact number in the prescribed proforma Annexure-II. The awardee is also required to submit the following documents to the designated branch of the UGC designated Bank at the stipulated period interval. The approved Agency may verify the genuineness of records before disbursal of funds.
- At the end of every three months the fellow shall submit a ‘Continuation Certificate’ in the prescribed proforma. Annexure-III . This will make the awardee eligible to draw the fellowship for the next three months.
- After completion of one year of the award of fellowship, the concerned fellow/awardee shall submit and present its Progress Report in the proforma prescribed by the UGC as given in Annexure-IV .
- The Fellow/awardee shall also submit and present accounts of contingency grants in the proforma prescribed by the UGC as given in Annexure-V .
- Fellow/awardee shall submit and present its HRA Certificate in the prescribed proforma Annexure-VI .
The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India vide its letter D.O. No. 18-7/2013-U1A dated 10th June, 2016 has instructed the University Grants Commission that from the financial year 2016-17 onwards the Aadhaar has been made mandatory for disbursement of all Government subsidies/Scholarships/Fellowships which are to be disbursed directly into the beneficiary’s account.
Disbursement of fellowship (old cases/legacy cases)
UGC has developed a dedicated web portal (https://scholarship.canarabank.in/AdminLogin.aspx) for capturing data for eligible scholars through which the legacy cases (Non-DBT) shall be transferred on DBT platform. The Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions will submit the master data of the eligible beneficiaries on the portal with a unique users profile (user name and password). The bank account numbers of the beneficiaries will be validated through PFMS for creation of beneficiary ID.
The Universities/Institutions/ Colleges shall update the information in the master data (regarding continuation, HRA, up-gradation, resignation etc.) of the beneficiaries on monthly basis. Based on the master data received from the concerned Universities/Institutions/Colleges the payment of the fellowship will be made to the beneficiaries through DBT platform only.
Procedure for monitoring the Progress of the Scheme
The research fellow shall submit, through the senior faculty member with whom he/she is working and the head of the department/university, a yearly report on the progress of his/her research work. (Annexure-IV).
1) The research fellow shall submit, through the senior faculty member with whom he/she is working and the head of the department/university, a yearly report on the progress of his/her research work. (Annexure-IV).
2) On completion of the award he/she will submit to the Commission a comprehensive report and a copy of his/her published work, if any, and an abstract of the research work in about 500 words.
3) After 2 years progress report of the research work done by the fellow may be examined by a departmental research committee constituted by the university/institute and recommendations/comments of the committee may be sent to the identified Agency.
4) In case the progress of the work is found unsatisfactory, the award may be terminated by the Commission at any time during the tenure of the award. The decision of the Commission in this regard will be final.
5) The fellow shall not accept or hold any appointment, paid or otherwise, or receive any emoluments, salary, stipend, etc. from any other source during the tenure of the award. However, no extension is permissible beyond the total period five years, at the end of which period the awardee ceases to be a UGC fellow with immediate effect. Any claim/reference to this effect shall not be considered.
6) If the Fellow is availing any other fellowship/ project from any other organization at the time of selection, he/she shall be required to surrender one award.
7) Feedback: After completion of the Research Work the student will submit his/her research work in the INFLIBNET repository along with the research papers published. For PDF (At least 4 research papers: 2 National and 2 International): 2 National/International publication at the time of submitting Departmental review Committee Recommendation and 2 National / International Publication by the end of the tenure must be submitted.
- Note: The last 2 installments will be released only after submission of the feedback and Research work in the Repository.
- The fellow will be issued a PDF completion certificate after successfully submitting the comprehensive report of the research work and the publications in the UGC-INFLIBNET repository.
If the fellow wishes to leave the fellowship before the end of the tenure, the information regarding relinquishment may be informed to the identified Agency under intimation to UGC. Grant will be released upto the date of relinquishment.
Transfer of the Research Place should be done by University/Institution/College concerned under the intimation to UGC. Transfer of Research place will be allowed only once during the entire tenure.
Cancellation of Award
The fellowship is liable to cancellation under Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe in case of:
- Unsatisfactory progress of research work.
- Candidate is later found ineligible.
- Candidate is already availing scholarship/fellowship from any other sources.
- Candidate if found employed during the PDF research.
- Any false information furnished by the applicant or any fraudulent activity by the Scholar/Fellow/Research Awardees
Post Doctoral Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Tribe – Official Website