UGC NET Study Materials for Paper 1 (eBook with MCQ) ⇒ BUY NOW
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences (Including Languages): With our higher education system poised for rapid and massive expansion in the years ahead and the establishment of many new Universities and institutions on the anvil, requirement of potential faculty with PDF experience will be very substantial.
Thus, a ‘home grown’ PDF program can be expected to partly redeem the expected short fall in trained faculty required for Higher Education Institutes. It is in this context that UGC initiative to launch a prestigious PDF initiative, named after an illustrious educationist and former President of India (1962-67) is important and timely and fills a widely felt void.
Objectives of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship
The objective of this award is to provide an opportunity to carry out the advanced studies and research in Humanities and Social Sciences including languages in Indian Universities/Colleges/ Institutions as indicated below:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) and 12(b) of UGC Act, 1956.
- Deemed to be Universities under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 which are eligible to receive grant in aid from
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central/ State
- Institutes of National Importance.
i. The candidate should be unemployed.
ii. The fellowship is open for full time research work to young researchers below 35 years of age as on the last date of submission of online application. Relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST/OBC/Women/PWD (Persons with Disabilities) candidates.
iii. For general category, minimum 55% of marks at UG level and minimum 60% of marks at PG level are mandatory. For reserved categories (SC/ST/OBC/PWD) candidates, minimum 50% of marks at UG level and minimum 55% of marks at PG level are required.
iv. Candidates applying for PDF must upload the No Objection Certificate from the proposed research Centre duly signed by the HOD and Registrar/Principal/Director of the University/College/Institute as per Annexure-I.
v. Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per the Govt. of India norms
Note: Candidate must identify a Guide for his/her post-doctoral research work and obtain his/her consent for the guidance.
Nature of Assistance available under the Scheme
Slots: The number of slots available under the scheme is 200 per year.
Tenure: The tenure of the award is three years with no provision for further extension. At the end of this period the fellow ceases to be a UGC research fellow with immediate effect.
Financial Assistance under Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship
The financial assistance available under the scheme is as follows:
|Fellowship||Rs. 47,000/- for 1st year
Rs. 49,000/- for 2nd year
Rs. 54,000/- for 3rd year
|Contingency||Rs. 50,000 p.a. for three years|
|Rs. 2000/- p.m. (fixed) in case of
* The revised rate of fellowship is applicable w.e.f. 01.12.2019.
Note: At the end of tenure, the books, journals and equipment purchased out of the contingency grant will become the property of the department of the University.
House Rent Allowance (HRA)
1. Suitable single-seated hostel accommodation may be provided to the candidates in the institutions. In such cases, the fellow is eligible to draw only hostel fees excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc. A certificate to this effect is to be furnished through the Registrar/Director/Principal. HRA is not permissible for those candidates who are staying in Hostel accommodation.
2. In case of non-availability of hostel accommodation, the fellow may be provided with single accommodation by the host institution. In such cases, the rent paid by the fellow on actual basis may be reimbursed subject to the ceiling of HRA as per Govt. of India norms.
3. If the fellow makes her own arrangements of accommodation, he/she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of cities by the Govt. of India.
Note: In all the above cases, the fellow will submit a relevant certificate (Annexure-VI) through the concerned University/College/Institute to the identified Agency for settling the claim.
Procedure for applying for the scheme
Applications are invited through online mode once in a year through advertisement in leading newspapers & employment news. Short notification is also uploaded in the UGC website i.e. www.ugc.ac.in.
Note: Candidates have to apply strictly as per the instructions given in the online portal. Incomplete application will not be considered.
√ The online applications received will be scrutinized by the screening committee. Later, the short-listed candidates will be called to appear before the expert committee, constituted by the Commission. No TA/DA will be paid for appearing in the interview to the candidates. The decision of the Commission will be final. Result shall be published on UGC website. Award letters can be downloaded from UGC online application portal.
√ If the Fellow is availing any other fellowship/project from any organization at the time of selection, he/she shall be required to surrender one award.
√ The award is subject to UGC guidelines and will be effective from 1st April of the selection year or the actual date of joining in the University/College/Institute, whichever is later.
√ The Commission reserves the right to withdraw/cancel the award without assigning any reason.
Joining of Fellowship
The candidate should join the fellowship within 3 months from the date of issue of Award letter, failing which the award will be treated as cancelled.
Resignation under Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship
Resignation of the Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship will be forwarded by the concerned University/College/Institute to the designated agency under intimation to UGC office. The grant will be released upto the date of resignation tendered by the fellow.
Transfer of Research Place
Transfer of the Research Place should be done by concerned University/College/Institute under the intimation to UGC and designated agency. Transfer of Research place will be allowed only once during the entire tenure.
Cancellation of Award
The award is liable to be cancelled in the following cases:
- If the awardee is found to be ineligible to receive the award, at any point of time during the entire duration of the fellowship.
- Any false information furnished by the applicant.
- Misconduct of Awardee
- Unsatisfactory progress of research work of the awardee.
- Any other fellowship/scholarship is drawn from other source(s) during the tenure of the award.
- Candidate if found employed during the PDF research.
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Post Doctoral Fellowship – Official Website